Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Late Renoir: Staggeringly Beautiful

It was a dreary Sunday morning, both gloomy and humid, when my friends and I decided to take a trip to the Philadelphia Museum of Art to see the late works of Pierre-Auguste Renoir.


A self-portrait, 1897
Since I was about 13, I've had a wild fascination with art history - more specifically, the Impressionist Era. Naturally, in my perusing of countless art books filled with what seemed a limitless number of paintings, I came to love the works of Monet, Manet and most of all Renoir. There's just something about the way he painted his landscapes and most of all his women, so voluptuous and stunningly beautiful, with certain looks that brought utter fascination. I couldn't help but stare at his women and children and wonder what is she/he thinking? how does she/he feel? what is her/his story? For some reason, I felt a closeness to his subjects - like I knew them personally. Many say it is because Renoir would choose to paint his subjects doing daily activities, such as brushing their hair or reading a book. He took commonplace actions and made them a work of art. The fleshy pinks and rosy hues of his subjects, made them appear to have the greatest happiness - the kind that you don't need to speak about, but instead just follows you like an aura wherever you go. 
As I moved through the gallery, listening to audio provided by the curators, I felt a certain sense of calm - of peace. To be surrounded by such beautiful works, to wonder deeply about the lives of his subjects, to imagine the time period and visualize myself in his simple yet delicious landscapes - made me want to travel back in time so so badly. I wanted to wear the simple dresses of the women he painted, and stroll through one of the beautiful villas he captured with his meticulous paint strokes.


Reclining Nude, 1903
Renoir's method of capturing the very pure essence of each woman he painted, with such innocence and beauty, was indescribably possessing - I couldn't look away, which made it hard to progress onto the next painting. I could have stayed in that gallery forever.


Before leaving the museum, I bought a CD entitled, Renoir, landscapes and music. I've been listening to it endlessly on repeat all day. The sweet sounds of the violin, flute and grand piano brought back all of the thoughts and emotions I experienced within the walls of the exhibit. I feel so lucky to have captured a piece of that calm happiness with this CD. I will cherish it's uplifting and inspiring melodies every time I give it a listen, and I know I won't be able to help smiling for Renoir and anything inspired by his work can only bring happiness to those who understand its true beauty.




"The work of art must seize upon you, wrap you up in itself and carry you away. It is the means by which the artist conveys his passion. It is the current which he puts forth, which sweeps you along in his passion." - Pierre Auguste Renoir

No comments:

Post a Comment